Rodents present a significant risk to human health, animal health and welfare, food hygiene, structural integrity, and safety. Some of the diseases, parasites, and bacteria that they harbour are transmissible to humans, companion animals and farm livestock, justifying their internationally accepted ‘significant public health pest’ status from the World Health Organisation (WHO).
With the Autumn months upon us, the rodent population is on the rise. Landcare Pest Control has seen a rise in calls of rodents entering both domestic and commercial properties.
When the temperature drops rats and mice go in search of food and shelter, rodents search for homes throughout winter. Rats are agile creatures, capable of squeezing through spaces as small as 1cm, gnawing at gaps to expand them. They will seize any opportunity to enter buildings.
Rats and mice can be a serious health risk and can also do serious damage to your business premises and equipment. They can do this by gnawing through wood, plastic, and power cables, which helps them to keep their teeth short – this can lead to an electrical failure, costly repair bills and a possible increased risk of fire.
Rat urine may contaminate food and food packaging and can cause leptospirosis (also known as Weil’s disease). This can cause a range of illnesses including mild flu, jaundice, kidney failure, and even death.
Rats and mice carry fleas, mites, and ticks as well as bacteria and viruses that can kill, including Salmonella, E. coli, Cryptosporidium, and bacteria that can cause tuberculosis.
Rodents discovered in your commercial business are big concern to many as can be extremely harmful to your business’s overall productivity. Without taking care of your rodent problems as soon as possible, you are putting your business at risk.
- Business inspections: To meet Assurance Standards Assurance Schemes many businesses need to demonstrate that they have effective rodent control programmes in place. A good record keeping system should demonstrate that suitable approaches are being undertaken in line with best practice and, where rodenticides are being used, that they are not putting wildlife at risk www.thinkwildlife.org, are being used in compliance with current label requirements, and that those applying rodenticides have been adequately trained. A plan of baiting strategies should be included.
Landcare Pest Control will treat or prevent infestations and provide accurate records and risk assessments ensuring compliance with all (COSHH) & further associated legislations.
- Ruin your reputation: Allowing customers to see the signs of rodent infestation or worse, the rodents themselves can have a very negative impact on a business’s reputation. Customers are quick to leave scathing online reviews, deterring future customers even after the issue is solved. Rodents make customers not want to visit your business, make you look unprofessional and can even cause you to fail health inspections and be shut down, particularly if your business works with food.
- Health concerns: Rodents are notorious for spreading germs and diseases through their droppings, saliva, blood, and urine. These germs can cause flu-like symptoms in humans, including diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, sweating, aching, dizziness and more. Not only does this make your employees have to stay home from work, lowering business productivity, but it can contaminate food and products going out to customers, too.
- Damage products: With their keen sense of smell, rodents will find your food sources as quickly as they settle in. This is especially a problem for grocery stores, restaurants, and other food production businesses, because rodents can get into food products, gnaw and contaminate them, forcing you to throw away unsold products. Call Landcare Pest Control to avoid wasting money on damaged products.
- Costly structural damage: Rodents’ teeth never stop growing, which means they never stop chewing, and they will gnaw their way through your building. By chewing on insulation, wiring, walls and more, rodents can cause unsightly and expensive damage to the inside of your property. Additionally, if those rodents decide to burrow underground, they might chew through structural beams and foundations and create tunnels inside your walls, causing severe structural damage that will be costly to fix.
- Employee distractions: Nobody wants to work in an environment plagued by mysterious scuffling in the walls or ceilings, foul odours, and scary rodent sightings. Rodent infestations can result in more distractions and lower morale for employees, in addition to adversely affecting their health.
Keep a close eye out for the warning signs of rodents in your business and act fast as soon as you suspect you have an infestation. Being quick to act can save you multiple times over by avoiding other business problems down the line.
To ensure that your business is fully protected from the damage that rodents can cause, you will need a business pest control contract that is professional, effective and tailored to your needs.
Adopting a systematic and organised approach to rodent eradication and prevention of infestations should be included as a major part of business management. Landcare Pest will carefully devise a management plan and have adequate resources committed to it.
Land Care Pest Control has over 18 years of experience in dealing with pests, so please get in contact today for a free expert consultation and site visit, call 07973-662467 to speak to David Parry.
Landcare Pest Control covers South Wales and the English border counties: Abergavenny, Raglan, Crickhowell, Usk, Tintern, Monmouth, Chepstow, Hereford, Newport & Cardiff. Landcare Pest Control works with all kinds of industries including Farms, Bars, Pubs, Restaurant, Hotels (and B&Bs), Nursing Homes, Equestrian Centres, Factories and Warehouses.
If you are experiencing problems with rodents, call David Parry on 07973-662467 or visit www.landcarepestcontrol.co.uk to arrange a competitively priced rodent eradication solution.